- •Enabling older people—the largest population group in most European countries—to sustain or add quality to years of life in old age challenges many countries.
- •The EQ-5D measures the impact of health on quality of life. Although it is often used in population health surveys, older adults have rarely been differentiated in general population surveys using EQ-5D. This study provides a 3-level version of the EQ-5D population norm data for the 50-plus-year-old Europeans using the cross-sectional Study of Health, Ageing, and Retirement in Europe data.
- •These can serve as a reference that may help researchers and healthcare practitioners benchmark and interpret their results, inform policy, and support health decisions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- World population prospects: the 2017 revision, key findings and advance tables. Working Paper No. ESA/P/WP/248. United Nations.https://population.un.org/wpp/Publications/Files/WPP2017_KeyFindings.pdfDate accessed: January 3, 2022
- Changing demographics: a new approach to global health care due to the aging population.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 3002-3005
- Population aging in Europe.in: Michel J.P. Beattie B.L. Martin F.C. Walston J.D. Oxford Textbook of Geriatric Medicine. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England2018: 11-18
- Europe in figures – Eurostat yearbook 2010. European Commission; 2020.Accessed January 4, 2022)
- Population projection in the EU.https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Population_projections_in_the_EU#Population_projectionsDate accessed: December 14, 2021
- Quality of life in older age: what older people say.in: Quality of Life in Old Age. Social Indicators Research Series. vol 31. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands2007https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-5682-6_2
- A longitudinal study on social support, social participation, and older Europeans’ quality of life.SSM Popul Health. 2021; 3100747
- Ageing and the epidemiology of multimorbidity.Eur Respir J. 2014; 44: 1055-1068
- Age-related diseases and clinical and public health implications for the 85 years old and over population.Front Public Health. 2017; 5: 335
- Age-related disease burden as a measure of population ageing.Lancet Public Health. 2019; 4: e123-e124
- Associations between multimorbidity, healthcare utilisation and health status: evidence from 16 European countries.Age and Ageing. 2016; 45: 431-435
- Trends in age-related disease burden and healthcare utilization.Aging Cell. 2019; 18e12861
- Measuring population ageing: an analysis of the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet Public Health. 2019; 4: e159-e167
- A Good Life in Old Age?: Monitoring and Improving Quality in Long-term Care.OECD/European Commission, OECD Publishing, Paris2013
- Global strategy and action plan on ageing and health. World Health Organization.https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789241513500Date accessed: January 4, 2022
- World report on ageing and health. World Health Organization; 2019.Accessed January 3, 2022)
- Critique on the conceptualization of quality of life: a review and evaluation of different conceptual approaches.Int J Nurs Stud. 2006; 43: 891-901
- The quality of life of older people aging in place: a literature review.Qual Life Res. 2017; 26: 2899-2907
- What does quality of life mean to older adults? A thematic synthesis.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0213263
- Health, health-related quality of life, and quality of life: what is the difference?.Pharmacoeconomics. 2016; 34: 645-649
- General population normative data for the EQ-5D-3L in the five largest European economies.Eur J Health Econ. 2021; 22: 1467-1475
- Health status of the advanced elderly in six European countries: results from a representative survey using EQ-5D and SF-12.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010; 8: 143-153
- Self-Reported Population-Health: An International Perspective Based on EQ-5D.Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands2014
- EuroQol–a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life.Health Policy. 1990; 16: 199-208
- Population norms for the EQ-5D-3L: a cross-country analysis of population surveys for 20 countries.Eur J Health Econ. 2019; 20: 205-216
- EQ-5D-3L health status and health state utilities of the oldest-old (85+) in Germany: results from the AgeCoDe-AgeQualiDe study.Qual Life Res. 2020; 29: 3223-3232
- Health status and quality of life: results from a national survey in a community-dwelling sample of elderly people.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 1687-1696
- Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE) Wave 4. Release version: 8.0.0. SHARE-ERIC. Data set.https://doi.org/10.6103/SHARE.w4.800Date: 2022
Bergmann M, Kneip T, De Luca G, Scherpenzeel A. Survey participation in the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE), wave 1-7. Based on release 7.0.0. 2019, Munich: MEA, Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy; SHARE Working Paper Series 41-2019.
- Release guide 7.0.0. SHARE.http://www.share-project.org/fileadmin/pdf_documentation/SHARE_release_guide_7-0-0.pdfDate accessed: July 31, 2022
- Stata program to compute calibrated weights from scientific use file and additional database. SERISS.https://seriss.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SERISS-Deliverable-2.10-Stata-program-for-calibrated-weights.pdfDate accessed: July 31, 2022
- Data access. SHARE.http://www.share-project.org/data-access.htmlDate accessed: November 19, 2021
Mehrbrodt T, Gruber S. Wagner M. Scales and multi-item indicators in the survey of health, ageing and retirement in Europe. 2019, SHARE Working Paper Series 45-2019.
- A European EQ-5D VAS valuation set.in: Brooks R. Rabin R. de Charro F. The Measurement and Valuation of Health Status Using EQ-5D: a European Perspective. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands2003: 103-142
- EQ-5D Value Sets: Inventory, Comparative Review and User Guide.Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands2007
- Comparing EQ-5D valuation studies: a systematic review and methodological reporting checklist.Med Decis Making. 2014; 34: 8-20
- Methods for Analysing and Reporting EQ-5D Data.Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands2020
- Towards a Central-Eastern European EQ-5D-3L population norm: comparing data from Hungarian, Polish, and Slovenian population studies.Eur J Health Econ. 2019; 20: S141-S154
- Quality of life in community-dwelling Dutch elderly measured by EQ-5D-3L.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017; 15: 3
- The gender difference and mortality-to-incidence ratio relate to health care disparities in bladder cancer: national estimates from 33 countries.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 4360
- Discrimination, harassment, and gendered health inequalities: do perceptions of workplace mistreatment contribute to the gender gap in self-reported health?.J Health Soc Behav. 2018; 59: 283-299
- Self-rated health in Europe and its determinants: does generation matter?.Int J Public Health. 2018; 63: 223-232
Vanier A, Oort FJ, McClimans L, et al. Response shift in patient-reported outcomes: definition, theory, and a revised model [published correction appears in Qual Life Res. 2021;30(12):3323-3324]. Qual Life Res. 2021;30(12):3309-3322.
- Response shift recalibration and reprioritization in health-related quality of life was identified prospectively in older men with and without stroke.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 500-507
- Discrepancies between self-reported and observed physical function in the elderly: the influence of response shift and other factors.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 48: 1549-1561
- RRTC Expert Panel on Health Status Measurement. Response shift theory: important implications for measuring quality of life in people with disability.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 529-536
- General population reference values for 3-level EQ-5D (EQ-5D-3L) questionnaire in Poland.Pol Arch Med Wewn. 2015; 125: 18-26
- EQ-5D Portuguese population norms.Qual Life Res. 2014; 23: 425-430
- Health related quality of life norm data of the general population in Italy: results using the EQ-5D-3L and EQ-5D-5L instruments.Epidemiol Biostat Public Health. 2015; 12e11457
- EQ-5D self-reported health in Barbados and Jamaica with EQ-5D-5L population norms for the English-speaking Caribbean.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2021; 19: 97
- Assessing the health of the general population in England: how do the three- and five-level versions of EQ-5D compare?.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2015; 13: 171
- Validity of the EQ-5D-5L and reference norms for the Spanish population.Qual Life Res. 2018; 27: 2337-2348
- Health-related quality of life of the General German population in 2015: results from the EQ-5D-5L.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 426
- US population norms for the EQ-5D-5L and comparison of norms from face-to-face and online samples.Qual Life Res. 2021; 30: 803-816
- Subjective expectations regarding ageing: a cross-sectional online population survey in Hungary.Eur J Health Econ. 2019; 20: 17-30
- Japanese population norms for preference-based measures: EQ-5D-3L, EQ-5D-5L, and SF-6D.Qual Life Res. 2016; 25: 707-719
- A systematic review of studies comparing the measurement properties of the three-level and five-level versions of the EQ-5D.Pharmacoeconomics. 2018; 36: 645-661
- Position statement on use of the EQ-5D-5L value set for England. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).https://www.nice.org.uk/about/what-we-do/our-programmes/nice-guidance/technology-appraisal-guidance/eq-5d-5lDate accessed: January 3, 2022
- The end of east–west divergence in European life expectancies? An introduction to the special issue.Eur J Popul. 2019; 33: 615-627