- •The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Physical Function Short Form v2.0 – Physical Function 8c (PROMIS PF8c) instrument is a useful clinical outcome assessment to capture patient-reported physical functioning among patients with advanced cancer currently being considered for qualification as a drug development tool with the US Food and Drug Administration. There are currently 2 versions of the PROMIS PF8c: one with a 7-day recall and one with no recall. This article determined whether these versions yielded similar responses using a within-person design.
- •Responses to the no recall and 7-day recall versions of the PROMIS PF8c were very similar. Both in terms of T scores and raw scores, average differences between these versions approached 0.
- •Given that it is more similar to other PROMIS Physical Function measures, the no recall version is a preferable choice for administering the PF8c.
- Clinical outcome assessment (COA) qualification program. US Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-development-tool-ddt-qualification-programs/clinical-outcome-assessment-coa-qualification-programDate accessed: August 10, 2020
- Drug development tool (DDT) qualification programs. US Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/drugs/development-approval-process-drugs/drug-development-tool-ddt-qualification-programsDate accessed: August 10, 2020
- Qualification Process for drug development tools guidance for industry and FDA staff. US Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/qualification-process-drug-development-tools-guidance-industry-and-fda-staffDate accessed: October 20, 2020
- Focusing on Core patient-reported outcomes in cancer clinical trials: symptomatic adverse events, physical function, and disease-related symptoms.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 1553-1558
- Oncology drug approvals: evaluating endpoints and evidence in an era of breakthrough therapies.Oncologist. 2017; 22: 762-767
- DDT COA #000079: PROMIS® physical function in oncology. US Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/drugs/ddt-coa-000079-promisr-physical-function-oncologyDate accessed: August 10, 2020
- Does recall period matter? Comparing PROMIS® physical function with no recall, 24-hr recall, and 7-day recall.Qual Life Res. 2020; 29: 745-753
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005-2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179-1194
- A test for symmetry in contingency tables.J Am Stat Assoc. 1948; 43: 572-574
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.Lancet. 1986; 1: 307-310
- Applied Statistics for the Behavioral Science.5th ed. Houghton Mifflin, Boston, MA2003
- Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions.Wiley & Sons, Toronto, Canada2004
- Graded response model.in: van der Linden W.J. Hambleton R.K. Handbook of Modern Item Response Theory. Springer New York, New York, NY1997: 85-100
- Using person fit statistics to detect outliers in survey research.Front Psychol. 2017; 8 (863-863)
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Science.Academic Press, New York, NY1988
- Better assessment of physical function: item improvement is neglected but essential.Arthritis Res Ther. 2009; 11: R191
- Respondent burden in clinical research: when are we asking too much of subjects?.IRB. 2005; 27: 17-20
- Developing a model of the benefits and burdens of research participation in cancer clinical trials.AJOB Prim Res. 2012; 3: 10-23
- Addressing administrative and regulatory burden in cancer clinical trials: summary of a stakeholder survey and workshop hosted by the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the Association of American cancer institutes.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 3796-3802
- Are patient-reported outcomes useful in post-treatment follow-up care for women with early breast cancer? A scoping review.Patient Relat Outcome Meas. 2019; 10: 117-127
- Collection of post-treatment PRO data in oncology clinical trials.Ther Innov Regul Sci. 2021; 55: 111-117