- •Drastic measures of national lockdowns are taken by many countries to slow down SARS-CoV-2 spread. However, these measures have detrimental economic effects.
- •Here we compare 2 strategies to control the epidemic using a modified SEIRD model: (1) global national lockdown and (2) focused isolation of people at high exposure risk, following detailed epidemiological investigations.
- •We show that strategy 1 is modestly superior in saving lives compared to strategy 2, but with tremendous costs to prevent 1 case of death. This might result in overwhelming economic effects that are expected to increase the future death toll.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- COVID-19: towards controlling of a pandemic.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1015-1018
- Worldometers.info.https://www.worldometers.info/Date accessed: August 17, 2020
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. World Health Organisation.https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019Date accessed: August 16, 2020
- Case-fatality rate and characteristics of patients dying in relation to COVID-19 in Italy.JAMA. 2020; 12;323: 1775-1776
- Fair allocation of scarce medical resources in the time of COVID-19.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2049-2055
- Countries test tactics in “war” against COVID-19.Science. 2020; 367: 1287-1288
- Economic and social consequences of human mobility restrictions under COVID-19.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2020; 117: 15530-15535
- If the world fails to protect the economy, COVID-19 will damage health not just now but also in the future.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 640-642
- The great lockdown: worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. International Monetary Fund.https://blogs.imf.org/2020/04/14/the-great-lockdown-worst-economic-downturn-since-the-great-depression/(Accessed April 14, 2020.)
- Global dynamics of a SEIR model with varying total population size.Math Biosci. 1999; 160: 191-213
- Economic indicators: Israeli economic data. Bank of Israel.https://www.boi.org.il/en/DataAndStatistics/Pages/Indicators.aspx?Level=1&IndicatorId=1&sId=0Date accessed: August 19, 2020
- Living, working and COVID-19 dataset. Eurofound.https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/data/covid-19/working-teleworkingDate accessed: August 18, 2020
- Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1708-1720
- When to quarantine. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.htmlDate accessed: August 19, 2020
- Spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the Icelandic population.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2302-2315
- Optimal targeted lockdowns in a multi-group SIR model. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series.2020 (No. 27102)
- The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 172: 577-582
- Characteristics of pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infection and potential evidence for persistent fecal viral shedding.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 502-505
- Positive RT-PCR test results in patients recovered from COVID-19.JAMA. 2020; 21;323: 1502-1503
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Our World in Data.https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirusDate accessed: August 16, 2020
- 2020 value assessment framework: final framework. Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER).https://icer-review.org/methodology/icers-methods/icer-value-assessment-framework-2/Date accessed: August 24, 2020
- Updating cost-effectiveness: the curious resilience of the $50,000-per-QALY threshold.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 796-797
- Country-level cost-effectiveness thresholds: initial estimates and the need for further research.Value Health. 2016; 19: 929-935
- The value of life. Harvard John M Olin Discussion Paper Series.2005: 517